- Why is an up-to-date Will important?
An up-to-date Will ensures that your estate is distributed in the way that you wish. It is the only way to ensure that your family, friends and favourite charities are provided for correctly. Without a Will, the state decides how to split your assets. It is therefore a good idea to review your Will often to keep on top of any changes in circumstances (marriage, divorce, new family members that may come into inheritance, etc.).
I don’t have a large estate. Is it worth donating?
Yes. Every donation we receive is used to support people with long-term health conditions in Scotland. Even 1% of your estate, after your friends and family are taken care of, will help us to carry out the vital work that we do, making a difference to people’s lives.
- Do I need a solicitor?
Although it is possible to write your own Will, it is advised that you have a qualified solicitor help you with the process. A good solicitor can ensure that all the wording in your Will is correct and that it accounts for any changes to your circumstances that may occur down the line. Without the correct wording, your Will could become invalid.
- I don’t have a solicitor. How do I hire one?
There are many solicitors to choose from and you can look at the Law Society of Scotland or call them on 0131 226 7411.
- I've already written my Will. Do I need to have a new Will drawn up?
No, you do not have to write a new Will. If your current Will still reflects most of your wishes and you simply would like to make some additions or small changes, your solicitor can help you create a Codicil, which lists minor changes or extra gifts to your original Will. It is always a good idea to regularly review your Will anyway to make sure your wishes have not been altered by a change in circumstances.
- Is my donation subject to inheritance tax?
Donating to charity in your Will is often seen as a tax efficient way to give. This is because anything that you donate to Thistle is deducted from the taxable portion of your estate so you will not pay inheritance tax on your donation. For example, if the taxable portion of your estate is £10,000 and you donate 10% to Thistle, then you will only pay inheritance tax on the remaining 90% (£9,000). Also, since April 2012, any charitable donations over 10% mean that you automatically qualify for a lower rate of inheritance tax (36% instead of 40%) on the remainder of your estate.
- I want to include Thistle in my Will. What information do I need?
To include Thistle in your Will, please take note of the following details:
Thistle Health & Wellbeing
Centre of Wellbeing, 13 Queen's Walk
Edinburgh EH16 4EA
Reg Charity No. SC045846
If you would like to find out more about leaving a gift in your Will or to speak to somebody about what your legacy could fund, please get in touch with Becky Keely at email@example.com.